"Dear USS Abraham Lincoln, While my heart bleeds for you, keep in mind that we would go to sea for years, our ships were made of wood, we had weevils in our hardtack, and any crewmember who complained about it to his mother was flogged."
"Try being chained to an oar for years." "You tell them, 41! Did I hear right? They had WEEVILS in their hardtack?" "Right? I'm digging me some good ole weevil protein right about now." "HEY, 42 AND 41! HOW' BOUT YOU TWO SHUT THE FUCK UP, ALREADY!!??"
Trust me, life on a carrier sucks. My heart goes out to the crew, who have no idea what's next (they're on their way home, apparently now). And going for MONTHS without a port call? Yikes. My point here is that the level of suck increases the father back you go.
The “weevils in their hardtack” part got me. There is something funny about how every generation thinks they have it worse until someone reminds them what people had to put up with before modern comforts. The last one is probably the best perspective of all though, because having a boat does make the whole situation feel slightly less miserable.
While I don't deny that being at sea for months at a time is horrendous, I wanted to shine some perspective on the whole thing. The entire episode reminds me of when I would complain about my ship in 1996 to my father-in-law, who served in the Navy during the Korean War: "YOUR toilets had shower curtains in front of them???"
I read the firtst few pages of Melville's Two Years before the Mast a long time ago. I'd like to promote these whiners to Cabin boy. A position, BTW, whose job description had me 86 the book after those first few pages.
La película de Ben Hur, es una pasada. Saludos desde España
ReplyDeleteMe encanto Ben-Hur. La pelicula y el libro.
DeleteI've been reading a lot about the USS Abraham Lincoln here recently.
ReplyDeleteEveryone has an opinion. Some know what it's like to be underway. Most do not. I'm growing weary of it.
DeleteIt sounds horrifying. I was curious as to your take. Curiosity sated.
ReplyDeleteTrust me, life on a carrier sucks. My heart goes out to the crew, who have no idea what's next (they're on their way home, apparently now). And going for MONTHS without a port call? Yikes. My point here is that the level of suck increases the father back you go.
DeleteThe “weevils in their hardtack” part got me. There is something funny about how every generation thinks they have it worse until someone reminds them what people had to put up with before modern comforts. The last one is probably the best perspective of all though, because having a boat does make the whole situation feel slightly less miserable.
ReplyDeleteWhile I don't deny that being at sea for months at a time is horrendous, I wanted to shine some perspective on the whole thing. The entire episode reminds me of when I would complain about my ship in 1996 to my father-in-law, who served in the Navy during the Korean War: "YOUR toilets had shower curtains in front of them???"
DeleteThat said, I refuse to be that Navy veteran who drones on about "Back in my day." I'd say this will be my last post on the subject.
DeleteI read the firtst few pages of Melville's Two Years before the Mast a long time ago. I'd like to promote these whiners to Cabin boy. A position, BTW, whose job description had me 86 the book after those first few pages.
ReplyDeleteI will never deny that life on a carrier is a picnic. But, it has been much, much worse. That is my point.
Delete